8th_Europe_Report -- 32_8th_old_new.jpg
The "Pont de Recouvrance" is the prominent vertical-lift bridge across the Penfeld River and built in 1954 to replace the "Pont National" swing bridge, the eastern half of which is shown in H.S. Wheeler's WWI photo below.  The earlier bridge was destroyed during the latter part of WWII.  The old swing bridge also shows in one of Harry St.Clare's old postcards labeled "Place du Ch√Ęteau" or Castle Square.  An old online photo of the severely wrecked swing bridge can be found HERE. Another online photo before its destruction can be found HERE. After our return to the States a friend gave us another old postcard showing the old bridge opened for the passage of a battleship. The lower floating bridge is for use by the Navy Base personnel only.

First | Previous Picture | Next Picture | Last | Thumbnails