Name: Siri Ivarsdatter SELDAL1,2,3,4,5,6,7
Father: Iver Ådneson (Aadnesen) SELDAL (3 Jul 1735 - 3 Nov 1823)
Mother: Mauta (Marte) Torgersdatter NØLAND ( - )
Birth 1770 Mork, Höle (Sandnes), Rogaland, Norway
Confirm 5 Nov 1786 (age 16)8
Death 1829 (age 59) Kendall (Murray), Orleans Co., NY9
Marriage 15 Jun 1800 (age 30) Norway
Children Martha Tormodsdatter MADLAND (abt 1800 - betw 1865 & 1875)
Kriste (Kristine\Christian) Tormodsdatter MADLAND (1802 - )
Jens Tormodsen MADLAND (1804 - 1885)
Rakel (Rachel) Serine MADLAND (1807 - bet 1840 and 1870)
Guri (Gurine\Julia) Thormodsdatter Foss-Eigeland MADLAND (10 Oct 1809 - 24 Dec 1846)
Serine (Serena) Tormodsdatter MADLAND (1 Jan 1814 - 7 Jan 1898) - m. Jakob Anderson SLOGVIG
Confirmation: Her "godparents/sponsors" ("Faddere") were Gitle Hommeland, Kristofer Norland, Marta Gjesteland, Gunvor Tengesdal, and Berta Lerang
General: IMMIGRANT SLOOPER* - She was listed with her husband and daughter Martha in the 1801 Norwegian census in Stavanger Co., Lye Parish, Giestdahl subparish, Madland farm, as age 31 and wife of the head of the household. She sailed on the Sloop Restoration, 1825, to America with her husband and 3 daughters; she and her family had just settled in Murray, New York, area when she was widowed in the summer of 1826. It has been said that she was the oldest woman among the Sloopers. "Siri Madland and her daughters were not left to live alone. On June 15, 1826 Gurine (her daughter) had been married to Gudmund Danielsen Haukaas. There are indications the Madland-Haukaas family settled in the south part of the colony." (Rosdail, p. 44) Siri died in Murray, NY, 3 years after her husband's death.
*For more information on the Sloopers see notes for Tormod Jensen MADLAND.
1. Rosdail, J. Hart. The Sloopers; Their Ancestry and Posterity; The Story of the People on the Norwegian Mayflower, The Sloop, "Restoration.". Broadview, IL: Norwegian Slooper Society of America, 1961.
2. Anderson, Rasmus B.. "'Restaurationen' -- the Norse Mayflower," AMERICAN SCANDINAVIAN REVIEW, Vol. 13., pp. 348-360. (Copy of original from Washoe Co. Library, Reno, NV; furnished by Bob Westberg.). January 1925.
3. furnished by Rolf Hetland from an unknown author. 6 pages of material furnished by Rolf Hetland re: J. Slogvik; Serine Madland; Madland family; mention of Jens Madland on p. 294, Anno 1832; Tomod Madland on p. 261, Anno 1820; and reference to Tormad & Siri in Høyland Gard og Ætt. Ågard, Rogaland, Norway: private, Jul 2000. pp. 2 & 6.
4. Torkelson, Ernst. Descendants of Ivar Ådnesen for 4 generations (descendants list) down to Todor Torkelsen. (2 pages). Stavanger, Rogaland, Norway: private printout, Jul 2000. p. 1.
5. Flom, George T.. A History of Norwegian Immigration to the United States; From the Earliest Beginning down to the Year 1848. Iowa City, IA: Privately Printed, 1909; Facsimile Reprint by Heritage Books, Inc., Bowie, MD, 1992. pp. 46, 56.
6. Blegen, Theodore C.. Norwegian Migration to America 1825-1860. New York: Haskell House Pub., 1969. pp. 393, 395.
7. Hauge, Alfred. Cleng Peerson, Volume 1 & 2, Translated from the Norwegian by Erik J. Friis. (Historical novel/fictionalized biography originally published in 3 volumes by Gyldendal Norsk Forlag, Oslo.). Boston: Twayne Publishers, 1975. pp. 83, 106, 337, 346, 361, 372, 386-387, 400.
8. Seldal, Gunleif. Printout data sheets of Seldal lineage from Sven Kristoffersen (Selvik) Seldal through family of Siri Seldal/Madland (6 pages). Klepp, Rogaland, Norway: private printout, Jul 2000. p. 5.
9. Rosdail, J. Hart. The Sloopers; Their Ancestry and Posterity; The Story of the People on the Norwegian Mayflower, The Sloop, "Restoration.". Broadview, IL: Norwegian Slooper Society of America, 1961. p. 51.
O. Keith Wheeler
Mad River, CA 95552